Bahrain postpones vote on UN resolution aimed at ending Iran’s stranglehold on Strait of Hormuz


The Gulf nation of Bahrain, which holds the presidency of the UN Security Council this month, postponed the vote on a resolution aimed at reopening the Strait of Hormuz that had been watered down significantly because of opposition from Russia and China, two UN diplomats said.

The diplomats, speaking on condition of anonymity because council consultations have been private, said the vote will now be held sometime next week.

The Bahrain-sponsored draft resolution that had been expected to be put to a vote on Saturday (April 4, 2026) would authorize defensive measures — not offensive action that Gulf nations and the United States initially supported — to ensure vessels can safely transit the waterway where one-fifth of the world’s oil typically passes.

Bahrain has sought support from all 15 council nations, and the postponement of the vote indicates that the watered-down draft is still not acceptable to Russia and China.



Source link

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

WordPress Directory PixelPhoto – The Ultimate Image Sharing & Photo Social Network Platform Pixelpiernyc - Portfolio Creative Agency Freelancer WordPress Theme PixelYourSite Pro – Facebook pixel WordPress plugin Pixia – Showcase WordPress Theme PixieHuge | eSports Gaming Theme For Clans & Organizations Pixion – Developer Portfolio WordPress Theme Pixlab – Agency WordPress Theme Pixwell - Magazine WordPress Pizza House – Restaurant / Cafe / Bistro WordPress Theme Pizzaro – Fast Food & Restaurant WooCommerce Theme